What is a Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area (CBPA)?
In Hanover County under State law certain areas with features have been identified as requiring higher environmental protection, these areas are commonly referred to as Chesapeake Bay Preservation Areas (CBPA). A large portion of the Hanover County falls within a CBPA. It may surprise many people that a CBPA does not only include areas close to streams, wetlands and floodplains (areas referred to as Resource Protection Areas, RPA) but also can include upland areas with erodible soils, steep slopes or highly permeable soils (areas referred to as Resource Management Areas, RMA). In some instances your survey plat may indicate if your lot is within a CBPA. This is often not the case and a sight specific determination is necessary to determine if your septic system is in a CBPA.

Show All Answers

1. Why am I being required to have my septic tank pumped out or inspected before the septic tank is full?
2. What is a Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area (CBPA)?
3. Should I wait to receive a notice, every 5 years, before having my septic tank pumped-out or inspected?
4. Is everyone in Hanover County required to have their septic tank pumped out or inspected?
5. Tell me more about the exemption for systems with Virginia Department of Health approved plastic filters.
6. Is everyone receiving this notice at the same time?
7. Who do I contact to have my septic system pumped out or inspected?
8. If I have had my septic system pumped-out within the last five years, do I need to have it pumped-out again in order to comply with the County’s pump-out program?
9. If my house and septic system is less than 5 years old do I need to have my septic tank pumped?
10. What if I have multiple septic systems on my property?
11. What if I don’t know where my septic tank is located or if I even have a septic tank?
12. What if I don’t know when my septic tank has been pumped-out?
13. Do I have to keep records?
14. What if I have an alternative septic system?
15. Who is responsible for costs associated with required maintenance of my on-site sewer system?
16. If I need more information who should I contact?