Hanover County regulates the types and size of signs which are visible from adjoining properties, roads, or rights-of-way. New freestanding signs will require a building permit.
For sign regulations see the 
zoning ordinance or contact the Planning Department. Also contact Planning to report sign violations.

To view sample illustrations of sign types, sizes, lighting, and placement, see the Zoning Ordinance Illustration Manual (PDF), pages 19-24.

Commercial Signs

There are multiple types of commercial signs, which fall into two broad categories: detached signs and wall signs. The Building Inspector's Office requires a building permit for new signs, which is reviewed by Building Inspections and the Planning Office. 

New Detached Signs

New Detached signs require a building permit for each sign proposed.

New Wall Signs

New wall signs require a building permit. Multiple wall signs for a site may be submitted on a single building permit. 

Refacing an Existing Sign

Refacing an existing sign does not require a building permit, but will require approval from the Planning Department. Please refer to the Temporary Sign - Reface Permit Application (PDF). Using the application, temporary sign permits may be applied for online using the Hanover County Citizen Portal. 

Real Estate Signs

Real estate signs include for sale signs located on individual properties and directional signs to properties for sale, open houses, and property showings. A temporary sign permit is typically not required for real estate signs that meet the provisions of the zoning ordinance. However, there are size restrictions for various types of real estate signs.

Street Signs

Contact Planning for size and color requirements for new street signs in new subdivisions. Contact Public Works to report a missing or damaged street name sign.

Temporary Sign Permits

Temporary sign permits (PDF) are available for special events such as promotional, grand openings, or other similar events. These permits are valid for a maximum of 60 days per calendar year, which can be split into four periods. The size of the sign is determined by the zoning of the property. 

Forms & Documents